Issued March 12, 2020
By: Dr. Anne Zink, Chief Medical Officer, State of Alaska
In order to prevent or slow the spread of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19), the State of Alaska is recommending all Alaskans become familiar with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) guidance on community mitigation. We are advising Alaskans to implement protective measures outlined in the “preparedness phase” and to strongly consider implementing the “minimal to moderate” activities (see page 3). Examples of social distancing strategies that should be followed now include:
For the General Public
- Stay home if you are sick with a respiratory illness. If you develop a fever, stay home for at least 24 hours after the fever subsides.
- Stay at least 6 feet away from anyone who is coughing, sneezing, or feeling feverish.
- Avoid large gatherings and crowded places as much as possible.
- Avoid shaking hands and hugging as much as possible.
- If you live in a rural area, consider limiting non-essential travel to protect your community.
For High-Risk Groups
- This group includes persons aged 60 years and over, and persons with underlying medical conditions such as heart disease, lung disease, diabetes, or other immune compromising illnesses.
- When you go out in public, try to maintain at least 6 feet distance from people – especially from people who are sick.
- Avoid crowds as much as possible, especially large gatherings.
- Avoid cruise travel and non-essential air travel.
For Businesses and Employers
- Use videoconferencing for meetings when possible.
- When not possible, hold meetings in open, well-ventilated spaces.
- Consider adjusting or postponing large meetings or gatherings
- Assess the risks of business travel.
- Encourage liberal leave policies and teleworking options for staff.
- Consider adjusting or postponing gatherings that mix between classes, grades, and other schools.
- Adjust after-school arrangements to avoid mixing between classes, grades, and other schools.
Considerations for Event Planners
For Religions and Faith-based Organizations
Guidance on community mitigation: www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/downloads/community-mitigation-strategy.pdf
Printable versions of State of Alaska Health Alerts are posted to the DHSS COVID-19 website atcoronavirus.alaska.gov.